Kenya AB Kiamutira *TOP LOT*
|Bag Weight||60 KG BAG|
About This Coffee
This is a washed AB lot from Kiamutira wetmill, Kirinyaga county, in Kenya's central highlands.
Kiamutira wetmill (or factory) was established in 1995 and currently had 355 members. It is operated by Mutira Farmer Co-operative Society which covers the region around Mutira and Kanyekiini - around 70 miles from Nairobi. Kiamutira - managed by Paul Ngari - is situated at 1,570masl and serves smallholder farmers in the local villages. The farmers typically have a small amount of land and cultivate the varieties of SL34, Ruiru 11 and Batian. As part of their membership, the co-operative provides training, credit & financial services, and inputs such as fertilizer to increase yield and plant health.
The coffee is wet processed, whereby fully ripe cherries are:
- - Pulped
- - Fermented in water for 12 - 48 hours (depending on climatic conditions)
- - Washed and graded in clean water channels
- - Dried slowly over 2 - 3 weeks on raised African beds until the moisture content is reduced to 10-12%.
The coffee is then taken to a central dry mill where it is rested in parchment for 3 weeks before being hulled, cleaned and graded by bean size. Finally, the coffee is carefully handpicked before being bagged in GrainPro for export from Mombasa.
Kirinyaga county is located in Kenya's central highlands. Directly south of Mount Kenya - the second highest mountain in Africa after Kilimanjaro - the county's farmers utilise the abundant altitude and rich volcanic soils of the mountain's foothills to produce coffees characterised by their high quality, complexity and sweetness. Most farmers in the region are actually tea growers, but the climate and terroir is ideal for arabica cultivation.
- Total Bags In Lot 20
- Status Spot
- Region Kirinyaga
- Producer Type Small Holder Farmers
- Wet Mill Kiamutira
- Processing Washed
- Processing Description Fully washed and sun dried on raised African beds
- Bag Type Grain Pro / Ecotact
- Plant Species Arabica
- Variety Batian, Ruiru 11, SL28, SL34
- Coffee Grade KEN CA WA AB TOP
- Growing Altitude 1500-1900m
- Screen Size 15 Up
- Country of Origin Kenya
- Warehouse Continental NJ
- On Sale No
- Top Lot No
- CTRM Contract Number P604602-3